This is the Revolectrix Cellpro PowerLab 8 Battery Workstation, capable of charging, discharging, monitoring, or performing multiple cycles on any current or future battery chemistry at alarming speed; the PL8 represents the end of all speculation about who sells the most powerful battery management system in its class for the best value. At $0.17 per WATT, it blows the lid off the competition and represents unprecedented VALUE.
The Cellpro PowerLab 8 (v2) Battery Workstation directly supports all Cellpro Revolectrix battery packs. FMA sells adapters separately to interface with various manufacturer's batteries, including the safe parallel adapters which can be daisy-chained to allow simultaneous, safe parallel charge of multiple packs.
The charger will never let you charge a LiPo by selecting the wrong cell count. It knows how many cells are connected by monitoring charge voltage on each cell in the pack individually. It performs an entire series of tests to make sure the battery is hooked up correctly to the charger before it ever even starts to charge, checking for valid voltages on each cell, reverse polarity conditions, reversed node wiring to name a few.
Take top-notch components capable of handling all of the stresses associated with super-high power, high voltage operation; things like an over-sized heat sink, extra-heavy 10AWG input wire, twin cooling fans and a gigantic sendust core toroid inductor to handle higher input current and combine these with stable firmware/software that is thoroughly tested in-house and with outside beta testing, and what you get is a new standard in reliability.
The Cellpro PowerLab 8 (v2) is an all-encompassing battery management and analysis tool. It is compact, powerful, and easy to use. Combining this kind of performance with the ability to autonomously cycle batteries, graphing all aspects of charge and discharge at the cell level (using the free Charge Control Software) and over multiple cycles provides you with key information about any chemistry battery you might have.
So you don't have a 12V, 700W or a 26.35v, 1700W power supply lying around? Not many people do. With smart power management in the PL8, it's easy to limit the unit's input current to match what you do have.
But perhaps one of the coolest features of the PL8 is it's environmentally friendly, regenerative discharge capability of up to 1344W. Unlike traditional methods of discharge, which deplete the output battery's energy in the form of heat across a transistor, regenerative discharge takes most of that energy and puts it back into the input battery!
- Selectable charge rates range 10mA to 40A
- Continuous maximum output power rating, 1344W @ +26.35VDC input voltage, 612W @ +12VDC input voltage
- Using +26.35VDC to +32VDC input, 1344W output will deliver full current rating (40A) over the full range of output voltage up to 33.6V
- Industry's first "daisy-chainable" Safe Parallel adapters available to maximize available power potential. Safely connect virtually any number (2s-6s for any brand or 2s-8s Cellpro compatible) of equal cell count/capacity together in parallel; charge, discharge, cycle, or monitor on a single PowerLab 8 (v2) unit. These items are peripheral products, available separately or as part of Combo packages, not included as a part of the basic PowerLab 8 (v2) unit.
- Smart power management allows customer to select between programmable input power sources. Using the Charge Control Software (CCS), choose from several templates to get you in the ballpark, then fine tune the settings. Available settings include power supply input current limit, input low voltage limit, regenerative discharge rate and voltage limit. PowerLab 8 (v2) stores 1 set-up for Power Supply and 1 set-up for Battery and asks for verification one time on start-up
- PowerLab 8 (v2) supports charging through node wires only (automatic current limiting to 3A maximum) or node wires in combination with discharge wires (charge rate support up to 40A max)
- Initiate charge, discharge, monitor, and multiple cycles at the PL8 or via remote control from the CCS. Graph all major operations when using CCS.
- Open Architecture presets allow for customization of any User Preset including show/hide presets on unit, preset name editing, up to 100 parameters control how presets are displayed and charging/discharge/cycling parameters associated with particular batteries and/or charging strategies. Unit includes 25 user preset banks pre-loaded for most major battery type/chemistries, plus 50 library presets.
- 0.1mohm voltage resolution allows accurate four point internal resistance measurement of each cell
- Environmentally friendly, industry first, regenerative discharge capability of up to 1344W. Unlike traditional methods of discharge, which deplete the output battery's energy in the form of heat across a transistor, regenerative discharge takes most of that energy and puts it back into the input battery. In other words, when you discharge your LiPo for storage, you will be re-charging your Lead Acid input battery. The total amount of power that you can achieve is limited only by the amount of current that your input battery can accept, or 1344W, whichever is lower.
- PowerLab 8 (v2) is also equipped with a traditional, 100W internal discharge capability which is non-regenerative.
- Twin cooling fan
- Massive over-sized internal heat sink
- 10AWG silicon input power cable and heavy-duty, removable plier clips
- Massive sendust core toroid capable of 60A continuous input current requirement for maximum output specifications
- Supports native Cellpro batteries automatically
- Adapters available for all popular R/C battery brands
- 2 line, 16 character backlit LCD
- Available opto-isolated PC interface and free Charge Control Software (CCS)
- Intuitive 4 button user interface
- Sleek and attractive high-impact ABS enclosure for maximum airflow efficiency
- Sturdy Aluminum top panel with reliable, recessed tactile buttons
- Quick "preset over-ride access" to common charging parameters like setting charge and discharge current and operational modes of charge / discharge / monitor / cycle(s)
- Additional advanced options menu for adjusting in-depth charging parameters and global options at the unit
- GUI PC software (CCS) allows access to 25 User Presets and 50 Library Presets stored in the unit or available in unlimited number on the P.C.
- Free and reliable firmware updates for the life of the product using the CCS
- Automatic Low voltage restore for recovering damaged or overdischarged packs
- Programmable options allow speaker ON/OFF or volume, customized welcome screen, and much more
- Cold weather mode reduces end-charge voltage; parameters adjustable by customer including ON/OFF, end-charge voltage offset reduction, and temperature
- Multiple product cases can be interlocked
- Expansion Channel mode whereby one PowerLab 8 (v2) Primary (Master) can control one or more Expansion Channel Units, send over preset information, control all aspects of charging and balancing. This feature is perfect for charging multiple packs of same chemistry using multiple devices such as split packs connected in series during operation all at unbelievable rates.
- Auto charge mode available utilizing advanced fuel gauging technology
- Customizable fuel table lookup values based on presets. Fuel tables can be created using a Fuel Table Wizard in the CCS and applied to individual battery brands by presets for improved accuracySpecifications:
For Battery types: Lithium Polymer (1s to 8s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), Lithium Ion (1s to 8s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), Lithium Manganese (1s to 8s balanced, 1s to 2s unbalanced), A123 (LiFePO4) (1s to 8s balanced, 1s to 10s unbalanced), NiCd (1s to 21s), NiMH (1s to 21s), 6v, 12v, 24v Lead Acid batteries (Flooded, Gel, AGM, SLA)
Pack capacity: 20 mAh to 360Ah
Input voltage: 10-32VDC, reverse polarity protected
Input current: 1A to 60A, software limited
Power conversion: Synchronous DC/DC converter, supports multiple switcher frequencies of 31.25 kHz, 62.5 kHz, 125 kHz; user selectable by preset, 85% to 93% efficiency depending on output current
Output battery charge current: Adjustable range 10mA to 40A, limited by 60A input current*
Output battery discharge current: Internal discharge 10mA to 10A, 100W max Regenerative discharge 10mA to 40A, 1344W max**
Continuous max output power: 612W @ +12VDC input, 1344W @ +26.35VDC
Cell balancing: Resolution 78uV (16 bit) for 1s-8s Li or A123 (LiFePO4) balanced charging
Voltage calibration: Cell voltage measurements are factory calibrated to a standard traceable to NIST; calibration is to +/- 6 mV
Current calibration: Charge current is factory calibrated on a 4A standard; calibration is to +/- 1mA
- Voltage resolution: 78uV (16 bit)
- Voltage tolerance: +/- 6mV
- Charge current: +/- 1%
- Capacity added to pack: +/- 1%
- Percent capacity (“Fuel”): +/- 5% (with accurate fuel table defined for battery being charged)
Serial data output: 19.2kbps, 8 bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit, no parity
Data integrity: Checksum, CRC checking
Cooling fans: Twin, 13 CFM, 50mm diameter
Heat sink: Internal 200W aluminum, thin finned
Output battery connector: “Cellpro” compatible, JST PA series, 9 position
LCD: 2 line, 16 character, light grey/blue backlit
Size: 5.82" x 6.55" x 3.57"
- * Please note: for safety reasons, available charger current may be limited for certain battery types and/or charging modes, e.g., non-balanced charge of Li
- * Please note: all specifications and features listed above subject to change without notice.
WARNING NOTE: This charger is not compatible with Traxxas iD equipped LiPo Batteries; only Traxxas iD chargers properly charge Traxxas iD LiPo Batteries. NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use this charger to charge a Traxxas iD equipped LiPo Battery.
This product was added to our catalog on January 13, 2016